Vermicelli kheer or as we call it Sevaiyya or Sheerkhurma is a very simple and fast to make dessert.
You will need –
- Sevaiyya or Vermicelli : 1 cup broken and roasted in ghee
- Ghee : 1 tsp
- Sugar : 1 cup
- Milk : 1 l (Full fat is preferred)
- Cardamom pods : 3-4
- Saffron strands : 1/2 tsp soaked in a tsp of warm milk
- Mixed and chopped dry fruits like Pistachios, cashews, dry dates or chhuhara, almonds, charoli seeds : 1tbsp
- Raisins : 2tsp for garnishing
Break the vermicelli in to small pieces and roast in a heavy pan with a tsp of ghee.
Meanwhile Boil the milk.You can reduce the milk a bit for a rich flavour.
Add ground cardamom and stir.
Add the roasted vermicelli and sugar into the milk.Let the sevaiyya cook for a good 8-10 minutes.
Tease the saffron strands soaked in the milk with back of a spoon so that it releases that beautiful saffron colour and add to the Milk mix.(Note : I sometimes add milk masala too for some added flavor)
Add the dry fruits except raisins.(Note : Do not add the raisins and boil the kheer, the milk may curdle)
Boil until the required consistency.Some people like it very thick and some prefer thin.
Garnish with rose petals(optional), raisins and some saffron strands.
Serve it Hot.